Making Design Work
TECHNICAL & ORGANIZATIONAL SOLUTIONS:
Design is about communication, but it’s not just the end product that matters. Organizations must also manage information vertically and laterally to deliver the right products, on time, at a profit. Getting design to work at any level requires effective communication and coordination between stakeholders—from concept to end users.
In addition to expert design, I develop technology and processes, facilitate collaboration, and enhance communications to allow stakeholders to anticipate and minimize breakdowns, speed up development, meet specifications, and deliver on-time.
Cut Costs, Improved Turnaround & Customer Satisfaction
- Avoided $ Millions in potential lost revenue by creating project tracking and reporting systems.
- Regularly managed up to 80 concurrent programs from concept to on-time launch.
- Cut new product launch time by up to 12 weeks.
- Increased customer satisfaction.
Company was in danger of losing over $30M worth of programs from biggest customers.
- New product deliveries were 6-12 weeks behind customer needs.
- R&D staff rushed to build product at high cost, while production facilities laid off employees, then retrained new ones a few weeks later.
- Hazardous materials and other supplies were rushed to facilities by air at exorbitant costs in order to try to catch up.
There was no company-wide system for everyone to see projects and schedules. I knew that every piece of info required to meet customer needs existed somewhere. If everyone could see details and status, they could anticipate needs, prioritize actions, and we could cut costs and deliver on time.
- Developed a Product Development Database to track and report product, graphics, and scheduling details for every project in development.
- Conceived and led weekly meetings of an interdepartmental Product Development Team.
- Developed a Prototype Approval System, and Part Number Verification process to ensure we would ship the right products.